Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Easy Peasy Pin Cushion


While playing in the craft room last night I put together a small project that I had seen on another website. I thought I would show you what I did.


I made a pincushion from a squatty little mason jar that I used for canning pear preserves last fall. The ingredients needed are simple... a jar with a lid that has the lid and band, fabric, stuffing and a glue gun... with glue :)


First trace on the fabric around the lid with a marker or pencil... something that won't show through the fabric. Next cut the fabric about one inch bigger all the way around the traced circle. Place your fabric circle inside the band, place the stuffing (about a handful) on top of that, then your lid and press down into place. Using your hot glue gun, glue fabric down to the inside of your lid. Once the glue has set, pop it back out. Quickly glue around the inside of your band, place your stuffed lid back inside and screw down on top of your jar tightly. This should stick. I had to do mine twice because I didn't use enough glue the first time.


I'm sure there are much neater ways to do this but it looks precious and it fits the jar and the purpose! I'm storing extra buttons in mine. Pretty little things!

By the way ... my sister Mary Evelyn and I stumbled upon a deal on about a zillion buttons and Trash to Treasures. If anyone has ideas for button crafts we can try please let me know. We have come up with a few so far that I will be sure to post soon.

4 comments:

  1. How cute! You sure do love that fabric...lol.

    Button crafts...I think that beaded curtains out of buttons would be fantastic. Beaded curtains are severly overlooked in my opinion. They can be used as regular curtains over a window to allow more sunshine, over an unsightly bookshelf or doorway to hide something, on your wall as decoration, or even on your porch as tiny tinkly wind chimes. Between 2 of your pillars in particuar, i think a button beaded curtain would be fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that pin cushion, love the vintage buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks JustKatety... fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I'll have to make one of my own since I sew on occasion.

    So glad I discovered your blog too!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks