Friday, August 7, 2009

Cleaning Vintage Linens

Howdy Doo All! When I am able to spend entire weekend days at home one of my favorite things to do is catch up on my linen washing. I have a tad of a habit of collecting vintage linens like colorful square tablecloths, cloth napkins, crocheted doilies... things like that. Sometimes when I get these items from yard sales, antique malls or just from my Grandmother's things that I've had they appear to be yellowed or stained with age. Sometimes it's not from a particular thing that stained them it's simply from age or environment. Sometimes I am afraid to machine wash these things or the machine and regular detergent didn't get the yellowing out.
A year or so ago I came across a certain product called Retro-Clean from a gal on Flickr. I bought some and have loved using it. I use one of my old enamel tubs, warm, water, a little Retro-clean and a lot of sunlight and my items gleam like the day they were new. Of course occasionally I will have something that is truly stained with something and have to try something else to get it out but most of the time this product does the trick! I love the feeling of checking on my cleaning every so often to almost magically see it changing before my eyes. I have been told that a simple mixture of Borax and water will do the same trick. I will try this and report back but for now I'll stick with what works while I have it! You can buy your own at www.retroclean.com

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks