Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

After being a single gal for - - - ever and having only myself to depend on monetarily I had to come up with a way to grocery shop on a budget. Keeping in mind that I love to cook and make things I really had to gain control of my spending. I allotted myself a certain amount each week. Some weeks it might have only been a little. I had to learn to only buy the necessities or what I called my necessities. However, I still allowed myself to have fun with my list such as buying a small bunch of flowers for my table or a certain loaf of brie. In that respect I simply shopped where I could spoil myself cheaply :).

My tip today for grocery shopping on a budget goes like this...
First figure out exactly how much money you have to spend. Let's say you have $45.00. Create your list of what you need and want at the store this week. Try and shop for "a week's worth" of living. When you have your list together, next to each item write in it's average estimated cost. Such as a half gallon of milk $2.50. Then add up the estimated total. If it is more than your allotted grocery amount either take something off or adjust the price to buying the generic of what you may normally buy. Example instead of buying your normal favorite white bread at $2.60 buy the grocery store brand that costs $1.00.

I have shopped using this method for years. Most of the time it works. The key is sticking to your list. When you get into trouble with your budget money is when your eyes are bigger than your wallet and things go into your cart that aren't on your list. Don't give in! If it's not on your list then you can't have it this week. Or you need to sacrifice something else at the same price. It takes some discipline but only you can control your spending. I still get excited to see exactly how close I've gotten at the register with my estimated prices. And I must say I've gotten pretty good at it!

*Don't forget to allow for taxes when adding up your list. One good way to do this is to round up your estimated prices.

2 comments:

  1. And don't forget to factor in coupons! If you get the store ad (you can see most stores online) you can see what's on sale BEFORE you go so maybe you can splurge on a "want" beacuse you saved enough from the "needs" with coupons & sales, etc.

    Some coupon sites: redplum.com, cellfire.com, shortcuts.com, smartsource.com, pgesaver.com. Some of these sites allow you to upload the coupons to your store savings card.

    I use a list from thegrocerygame.com. It's $10 every 2 months but SOOO worth it. I don't have to search through store ads every week.

    I get 2 Sunday papers every week for more coupons. Then I cut the coupons I want & file them baseball card pockets in my binder with all my coupons. I have it divided into sections like the store does - produce, baking, condiments, etc.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks