Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mmmm Chicken & Dumplings

Chello everyone! I would like to confess that I... peppysis... a.k.a. Laurie, am a lover of Chicken & Dumplings. Whew.. that feels better. Alas I've never felt as if I have mastered any recipe that I have come across for the dish that I love so much. Although my Mr. would beg to differ. He is so sweet to say "Mmm that's the best I've ever tasted!" after every meal or any special dish that I make. I just let the appreciation soak in. Back to the topic... my dumplings have never risen to satisfy my tastes... until yesterday. I finally succumbed to an easier version of the dumpling and I was very pleased with the result.

As much as I would love to claim this recipe as my creation I cannot. However from now on it will be found in my own personal cookbook, in my own personal writing so that my children someday will be able to make this dish and say it taste just like Mom's :) What they don't know won't hurt them.

Yesterday, I was able to compile a small addition of ingredients to my grocery list. I actually wound up only adding around eleven dollars of extras to make up the necessities of this dish. I was really proud. It includes one of those roasted chickens that comes precooked and piping hot from the deli and let me tell you I barely made it home without climbing into my backseat and breaking open the bag of chicken! Yum, it smelled sooo good! My grocery store had them on sale for $4.99. I couldn't believe it. From there it was on! Shaun helped me by tearing the chicken to shreds while I chopped, sauteed and prepared the base for this dish. The entire process actually took about 30 minutes and our supper was on the table.

I was extremely pleased with the taste and FINALLY pleased with the simple dumplings and will probably never try to make them on my own again. Well that's probably not true... I will try it again. But I will from now on have the old faithful just in case. Are you ready for the recipe?

Here's where you can find it. I hope you enjoy it just as much as we did.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/chicken-and-dumplings-recipe/index.html

3 comments:

  1. I buy those yummy chickens all the time, shred them and freeze them in bags to pull out for future meals. They are great for when I make homemade chicken noodle soup, chicken casserole or a quick quesadilla. You can get them at Sam's for 4.69 most of the time and they tend to be larger than the store ones. I like to buy 2-3 and shred them all at the same time. They are delish!
    I also bought some frozen dumplings made by Reames, that I am going to try out for a chick/dump recipe. There's nothing like yummy comfort food! I'll have to try this one out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Man! I have never bought one of those chickens before now. I'm not real sure why I always passed them up! Seriously... you cannot buy and cook your own chicken for five bucks! Where have I been?!?!?! I've been DIY.. that's where!
    I have tried a couple of different frozen dumplings in the past. I'm not sure which brands but I wasn't satisfied with them either. The kinds I've tried just turned out too flat. I hope yours work out and I'll look for them at the grocery next time.
    Comfort foods.. you're so right.. they are the best. I had left overs for lunch yesterday and that's exactly what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I have yet to find a satisfying recipie, myself. I will try this one with open arms, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks