Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Don't Forget The Kippies

Howdy Doo Everybody! I truly hope that Christmas is all a'glow in every one's hearts and in the hearts of those around you. I sure could see it in my hubby this morning when he saw the gifts I stayed up wrapping last night tucked under the tree. His first words were "Dang.. somebody's been to the Wal-Mart!" I then proceeded to have the twelve days of Christmas by Jeff Foxworthy stuck in my head for the next hour. It beats "Walkin round in women's underwear" tho.. thanks Katety. That one is stuck a lot. My blog today is going to be a double whammy. One recipe and one Christmas craft. Let's do the recipe first.

It comes from my Grandmother's recipe book that my sister Mary Evelyn and I put together for our family members last Christmas. Boy that was a chore!

Butterscotch Haystacks

1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup salted peanuts
2 cups chow mien noodles

Microwave butterscotch chips and peanut butter together on 50% power for 3-5 minutes - until stirs together nice and smooth. Add peanuts and chow mien noodles and blend to coat nicely. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper and allow to cool.
*Note: I make this recipe twice (not doubled). It takes a long time to harden - works best if you put it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

And please don't forget the Kippies.. meaning your pets! My pups usually get smoked pig ears and tennis balls for Christmas and for Tommy I make cat nip pillows and he might get a treaty too if he's been good :). Here's how I make the cat nip pillows.

Sew together 2 - 4 inch squares of material like a normal pillow, leaving an opening for stuffing. Insert regular stuffing and add a teaspoon of cat nip that can be homegrown and dried or bought at a pet store for around two bucks. Stitch the opening together and try to get them to the stocking without being followed. My Tommy knew what I was doing when I sat down!


Even if you don't have presents for your pups please remember them over the cold winter days and nights. Make sure to have hay or something warm for them to bed down on while the temperatures are low. If you don't have any straw call me.. I'll find you some and get it to you. Maybe you can even sneak a piece of Christmas ham out to them. Somehow I think my dogs have always known when Christmas was here. Maybe they actually remember me telling them about Jesus when they were little. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks