Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Handmade Christmas Cards

Hello All! Merry Christmas! It's not too late to get Christmas cards in the mail to your most favorite people! Why not save money this year by limiting the number of cards you send out and making the cards yourself? That is what I chose to do and plain as they may be they represent more to me than buying cards. Even your kiddos can help! Here's what I did:

Handmade Christmas Cards

20 pieces of card stock - whatever color you have
20 envelopes to fit whatever size your cards are
1 potato
craft paint - whatever color you have
a paring knife a paper plate
glitter - if you have it

Cut and fold each piece of card stock to fit the envelopes that you have on hand. Slice the potato in half and gently mark whatever shape you choose. Carve around the shape that you marked so that the shape is raised like a stamp. I chose an easy shape... a star. Squirt some craft paint onto a paper plate. Dip the potato shape into the craft paint and stamp it onto the front of your cards. Sprinkle glitter onto the shape while the paint is still wet. Allow the paint to dry and write your greeting on the inside. See there... handmade Christmas cards... ready to mail.

After I made my cards I thought of a meaning. The front of my cards have only one star. The wording "only one star.. that's all it took" has been stuck in my head ever since. It only took one star to lead rich men and poor men on a long journey through the night in search of the same thing...our Savior. Can you imagine doing that today? Hearing the word that the One that was sent to save us all had been born and following just one star all night to see Him for yourself. That this didn't exist before. That there was no hope for our souls. The word of Jesus' birth has been instilled in my life since I was born... the reason we celebrate the holidays every year... all these years. Only one star... that's all it took.

3 comments:

  1. reminds me of my favorite old Christmas song, made up by two crazy kids- "We two kings"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards, beautful meaning! You are always so thoughtful girl!! I hope you and Mr. Hulsey have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks