Monday, December 28, 2009

Now That That's Over

Happy Monday-After-Christmas to you all! If you're like me, you are back at work... thankfully and happily. Saturday evening my thinking cap was seriously screwed on tight and I got to thinking about New Year's stuff. I get a little antsy when a new year is almost here. I like for things to be cleaned out, put away and freshly organized before a new year begins. I feel as if it's bad luck to drag unnecessary things like clutter , dust and dirt into a new year.

Yesterday I found myself cleaning out an re-organizing things like my pantry and spice rack and it all led me to come up with ten things to help you get organized and ready for a new year. Even if you get one of them done I promise you'll feel much better. Don't be afraid to throw away, recycle and/or donate un-needed items. Try and make your New Year as easy as possible.

10 Easy Things To Organize For The New Year

1. Your Tupperware cabinet. If you haven't stored anything in it at some point during the last year... recycle it. Arrange lids in a bin or basket from smallest to largest.

2. Clean out your medicine cabinet. Get rid of old prescriptions and expired cough syrup. Keeping things "just in case" you need them can hurt you if they are old and maybe not even serve their intended purpose anymore. Rubber band band-aids together and seriously.. do you need all those medicine measuring cups?

3. Clean out your area that houses half-used lotions and shampoos that you didn't like. Pour them out and recycle the bottles. No one truly wants to smell like leaves and peppermint. If you're going to use that self-tanner you bought two springs ago I want to see the results!

4. De-clutter your house. Find five items in your home that you really don't need that are just sitting around. Seriously.. do you need those figurines? Donate the items or box them up to sell.

5. Books - look over your already read books and get rid of the ones that you didn't like or are most likely to never read again. Donate the books or find a bookstore that will buy them or take them in on trade for books that you haven't read. Used book stores are wonderful! We have a new one here on the hill if you haven't already been there.

6. Plan now for a spring or summer yard sale. Dedicate an area or box in your storage space or attic and label it "garage sale" or "to donate". Add to this box or area as you de-clutter.

7. Re-arrange your linen closet. This can be as easy as refolding the items there. If not choose towels and sheets that you no longer use and take them out for more space. Place all like items folded neatly together. Donate unwanted towels, sheets and blankets to a local humane shelter. They will be happy to have them.

8. Invest in new bed pillows. I really don't want to get into what can collect in pillows but they can be replaced now a days pretty cheap.

9. Clean out from under the bed. Personally I believe that a good night's sleep comes when there's nothing stored under the bed. If you have to use this space you can get thin boxes to keep your items in.

10. Replace make-up brushes and applicators. You can get a decent new blush brush from Wal-Mart for around $5. Keep in mind that it is recommended (somewhere) that you need to change your mascara every six weeks to prevent eye irritation.

If you have more ideas please feel free to leave a comment. I have only lived in my new home since last March. It is amazing how fast clutter and just stuff can build up. You can outgrow a home pretty fast especially if you don't stay on top of things. Going in to a new year gives me inspiration to not take excess baggage with me. In my world there is no excuse for excessive clutter. Now... go organize! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list! Now I'm all ready to get organized for the new year!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks