Monday, January 4, 2010

Backyard Bird Count

Happy New Year everyone! First things first... here's what I am excited about today. I am taking part and encouraging you to take part in the Great Backyard Bird Count! The National Audubon Society and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology are asking people to keep their eye out for birds and keep a count of how many you see from February 12, 2010 through February 15, 2010. You don't have to watch out for birds the whole time. If you have a feeder in your yard you can just write down what you see on which day and log on to http://www.birdcount.org/ to report what you have seen.

I am so tickled about this. I am an avid bird watcher. I have always loved to see different species and especially since moving to the country last year. I have enjoyed seeing different birds, some that I haven't seen in a long time and some that I have never seen.

In December I recommended a bird book http://peppysis.blogspot.com/2009/12/good-guide.html called Birds of Tennessee - Field Guide. It has great pictures and descriptions to help you identify what you've seen. You can purchase it on Amazon's used books for five or six dollars plus shipping. Or hey... you can just ask me and I'll look it up for you!

Back to the Great Bird Count. I was just fishing around on the sight and I found it very interesting. They have what has been reported in your area over the last several years. As for me I plan on being outside at least on February 13th and 14th no matter how cold it is! Heck I was out bird watching yesterday and the temperature didn't get over 27 here. I do recommend proper bundling if you plan on bird watching from anywhere other than your windows!

If you want to set out feeders to attract birds to your yard here's my tip. I feed birds in my yard black oil sunflower seeds and also have homemade suet out for them which I thoroughly enjoy making. http://peppysis.blogspot.com/2009/11/feedin-birdies.html Since that post I have tried the recipe using leftover bacon grease and grease from meat that I have cooked and it also works well.

Please ask me any questions about the bird count and I'll try to help.

**Hey just to let you know... there are no reports from anyone in White House, TN** I found that interesting. So to my readers in White House it's your time to stand out!! I hope you enjoy your hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks