Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Forcing Spring


Hello all! Well if you are anything like me then you just can't wait for spring to arrive. I asked my Mister this morning if he remembered when we planted potatoes in the garden last winter. I remember getting the last bag of potato sprouts last year because I almost waited too late so this year I intend to be on my toes...garden wise.

Back to the subject of spring. I wanted to share a little trick that I tried last year of forcing spring blooms indoors. Yesterday, here at work, I noticed about a three foot branch on a forsythia bush had gotten broken by someone opening the fence. I snagged it on my way in from my walk to the mail box, trimmed off the small twigs from the bottom and stuck it in an old soda bottle with water in it. Hopefully I will have blooms in about ten days. I can already see a little green from the buds.

Last year I read about this trick and wound up trying twigs from several different trees and bushes that I know flower in the spring. I remember specifically the forsythia, dog wood and Bradford pear working well. Try it out for yourself! Bring a little spring indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks