Monday, January 11, 2010

News From The Feeder

I woke Saturday morning to find only a few visitors at my suet and bird feeders as I had not filled their plates the evening before like I usually do. Santa had brought my Mr. tickets to the Grand Ole Opry to see his favorite country music star Hank Williams Jr. so in the midst of getting ready for dinner and a show the feeding of the birds had slipped my mind.

At this point there was only a small corner of the suet cake left and no sunflower seeds at all, plenty of snowflakes fluttering about but few feathered friends. As I watched the early risers finishing off yesterday's left overs I noticed a bird that I hadn't seen before which almost sends me in to instant panic mode. Where are my binoculars? Where's the bird book? Quick before he flies away!! Luckily when I got back to my perch he was still chowing down on his morning breakfast. I glared at this bird through my binoculars and indeed it was a newbie to my eyes.

It was obviously in the woodpecker family and somewhat larger and darker than the downy woodpecker beside him patiently waiting for his turn. He had some spots, almost hairy on the back of his head and just a tad of red feathers speckled the top of his head. I left my post and frantically searched the rooms of my house for my bird identification book. Why I can't put things back where they go I'll never figure out! I finally located my book to find the name of the newbie at the feeder to be a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker... of the juvenile variety due to the light red markings on his head. The adults have much more red than this guy did. They are a "winter only" resident in Tennessee.

After all the feed was gone I ventured out in my cozy sweatpants and green cowgirls boots (hot stuff.. I know) and refilled the suet cage and sunflower feeders. In no time at all I had drawn a crowd which must have scared the teenage Sapsucker away for now. I tried to sneak out to take a picture but he was also a bit camera shy. I did manage a few from the my bathtub perch which aren't too clear.

On Sunday I bundled up and went walking through the woods in search of what may be out and did see an adult version of the Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. The younger one visited my feeder for the remainder of the weekend which I am very pleased about. I also was able to locate one of the Pileated Woodpeckers that live near the creek. Unfortunately he located me too and flew away. Maybe one day I'll be able to catch him on camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks