Saturday, January 8, 2011

Confession Time

Well I did it. I managed to make something I can't stop eating... once again!

This winter I was lucky enough to get on the Florida grapefruit/orange bandwagon with my friend Jenn and order me up a box and a half of fruit. I got a whole box of grapefruit and a half a box of the sweetest oranges I think I've ever tasted! Great crop this year! A fellow blogging friend of mine made candied lemon peels last year from a batch of lemons she had ordered, you have to order these things when you're not in the state that they come from, and they looked so tasty. So last night I was squeezing some fresh orange juice, which is out of this world good, and at the same time wishing I had ordered and entire box of oranges and a half box of grapefruit, and I thought hey... save the peels for orange candy. BRILL!! After eating several of them after they were made last night I have continued to munch on them all throughout the day today! Hence.. blog-worthy!


Fruit Candy

3 oranges
Water
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
Extra sugar

Cut oranges in quarters, remove pulp for another use. Cut slices into half inch wide strips. Place strips of orange peel into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil of medium heat, boil gently for 2 minutes. Drain peels.

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add rinds and boil covered for 15 minutes. Remove cover and boil rinds for 20 minutes more. Remove to cookie racks using tongs to separate pieces. Roll pieces in granulated sugar and few pieces at a time and place back on racks or wax paper. Allow to air dry 24 hours. Store in air tight containers.

The recipe I used tells you to store them in the refrigerator. Others don't say this. I don't figure mine will last long enough to go bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks