Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I made myself finish it and I'm glad I did

There are often times when I do not finish reading a book. I absolutely love going to the library. When I started my new job in August I realized that I was not going to be any where near my local library any more. So I looked in to the Davidson County library, which is composed of many, many libraries throughout the county, and joined, which I had to pay for. Judging by the fact that I no longer rent movies, have cable TV or get magazine subscriptions, accept for one which was a gift, I decided to sign up. I have two libraries that are within my lunch hour distance from work. And I can get online and search for any book on their county-wide site, reserve it and they will magically have it waiting for me at the library of my choice which is fantastic!

Last week, on a Monday, I decided to take my holiday reading back and pick up a few new books to browse through over the next couple of weeks. I generally get one good read, one nature flip-through book, a home decor book which is mostly a look-book with cool pictures and antiques, and something else on a whim. The "whim" book rarely applies to any area of my life that I can do anything about. Generally about starting a business or ... starting a business. The only time I touch this selection is to move around in my book bag or return it.


On this day I picked a pretty good book called "Cherries in Winter" by Suzan Colon. It is full of this gal's experience during our recent recession and job lay-offs, family heirloom recipes (even shown on original paper in her ancestor's writing) and stories of her family that put a smile on your face. I really liked it. My problem is, even when I get a really good and fast read, I'll get three quarters of the way through the book and loose interest, get tired of reading, I am ready to move on. I let myself do this for about four days and today, on my lunch break, I finished it. I was able to ignore all conversations all around me in the lunch room at work and eat my lunch, but I finished it. I think sometimes deep down I don't want it to end, I don't want to know what happens so I'll just stop reading the book and take it back to the library and I won't have to find out.


I am glad I have another fully read book on my list. It's a small accomplishment, but I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks