Tuesday, May 3, 2011

10 Tips to Thrift

Being the avid thrift store shopper that I am, I feel as if I need to pass on a few thrifting tips to those who wish to indulge in thrifty shopping.  Mind you in the last year and a half I can only recollect clothes shopping outside of a thrift store three times.  Once at Ann Taylor when I started my new job, a trip to WalMart for shirts to craft on and one time at the GAP meeting my friend Jenn, I had a printed tee suck me right in.  Do keep in mind that I do buy undergarments new, in case you were wondering.  Of course while these products are available at thrift stores, I choose not to.. that's just me.

Now on to the tips.  I have ten tips to share but since I wrote this blog I have come up with more so there may be a Tips to Thrift Part Deux.

1.  Do not be afraid.  These clothes are not nasty, dirty, stinky or all bent out of shape and not all clothes are from the seventies and eighties in here.  Most stores thoroughly inspect all clothes and pass up anything completely undesirable.  Picture the clothing coming from your own closet or the closet of a friend or big sister.  I have always thought that I thrift well because of being the fourth child and used to hand-me-downs but I have friends that are not from one girl families or one child families that are excellent thrifters so... you can do it!  I know it's not all NEW.  Get over it!
2.  Find a thrift store close to where you live or work.  A store that you could visit at least once a week.  It has been my experience that the turn over in my favorite thrift store is high.  If I don't frequent it I miss it.  Someone (and it just had to be same person) dropped off a whole bunch of Ann Taylor dresses and BCBG and I wound up buying three for super prices but I know there was more!

3.  Stick to a moderate budget.  Only allot yourself ten dollars per visit.  Pick up a flowy floral skirt and a top or a nice pair of work slacks and a vintage scarf.  Just make sure not to go over your budget.  If it's not under ten dollars you can't have it.

4.  Always check the shoes.  While I am not really a big fan of used shoes, there is a big difference between worn and barely worn shoes.  I have purchased brand new shoes from time to time.  My favorite pair that I get tons of compliments on are a pair of Nine West, slip on, cow hide fur print boots that I got at my loving thrift. 

5.  Watch for Half Off sales.  Thrift stores generally color code the product tags as to what day they are put out.  Each day a different color tag, and sometimes two, will be the half off color of the day.  Hint: if you find something that catches your eye but is priced a tad too high you can ask what day the color will be on sale and try your luck by visiting back on that day.  If it is not still there you probably didn't need it anyway.  I have purchased a few items this way... the cow boots were one of them.
6.  Housewares - take it or leave it?  I always skim the housewares department.  I have managed to find deals on things from canning jars to antiques, like a vintage wooden water ski I bought to make a shelf out of (half eye roll from the husband.)  But I have found items lately like metal pots to plant in.  Keep your mind open as to how you decorate your home to the way you look at items.

7.  Costume Jewelry - most of the time in a case.  Although I do not often buy jewelry unless it absolutely intrigues me, I will say that one of my all time favorite necklaces came from a Goodwill store and purchased when I was nineteen.  Be selective.

8.  Time constraints can be a good thing.  I find that I buy less when I have less time to to be selective.  Rather, I am quick to say no to something if I have less time to decide.  For this reason I located a thrift shop close to my office and go there and back usually within thirty minutes.  Five to six minutes to drive there, fifteen minutes to look and five to six minutes to drive back leaving me with just enough time for a quick browse.  Even if I don't hit all the departments I make sure to scan the area I am most interested in that day.  If I feel like a new dress I'll head straight for the dress rack.  If I need a frame for a craft project I'll head to housewares.
9.  Don't look by the current look of apparel.  Or don't judge a book by it's cover.  Keep your own personal style in  mind while browsing.  If you spy a springy blouse picture which scarf at home you could pair it with or which heels you could wear with that cutesy dress.  You do have a style of your own.  Find which pieces can add to your wardrobe. 

10.  As always in living frugally - do not buy it if you don't need it.  Bargains can be found, extremely low pricing located and deals scored but face the facts, do you need  another Scrabble game (Laurie?)  Know when to say NO to yourself.

Finally, don't forget to donate.  It helps the cause of the thrift store to donate items from your own closet just as much as it helps to shop there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks