Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summertime Reading

I got inspired to have a summer reading program called "A Book A Week" after seeing a flickr friend's picture of some library books.  I am always interested to see what others are reading.  Her comments about the books peaked my interest enough to go on my library's website and search for them.  I got a few books headed in my direction, went and picked them up when they arrived in Inglewood and started reading.  Now mind you I'm not a speed reader nor do I have a ton of time on my hands.  I read before bed, on my lunch break at work and if it's a good book I'll spend some time on the weekends on my porch reading.  I finished one of the books within a week and started in on another. 

Another computer friend inspired part two of my summer reading program.  I really, really want to review the books that I read but the questions and comments that I was coming up with were too complicated and I was trying to be more literal than I am.  I had almost given up until today when a blog post changed my mind.  www.mommycoddle.com posted a book journal that she has going for her children.  Juvenile and simple as it may be, it was the simplicity that I needed to review my summertime books.  I made my own version, sticking with the points she used, and printed it on a regular sheet of paper, cut it in to fours, and taped it in my journal.   I will stick to just one journal and cram it with all sorts of things... including this.

A Book A Week  -  Week One

Title: Magic or Not?
Author: Edward Eager
Dates Read: May 25-31, 2011
Rating: 5 stars
Thoughts: This will be one of those reads that I revert back to in my imagination for a while.  I loved how vivid a picture that author painted and I was able to see each character and place like a dream.  I really enjoyed the way the stories in each chapter came together full circle and magically tied in at the end. 


I don't want to give away what the books are about.  I had no idea what they were about until I checked them out and started reading.  For instance, book one is a juvenile fiction book.  I don't even venture to that area of my library until now.  And I have been back since then I tell you!  That is part of the fun of it.  The "Thoughts" section of the review is simple.. so I will keep it that way.

I would love to hear what you are reading and also your thoughts on the books I am going to be listing if you pick them up for yourself. 

I can also email you a pdf file of the Book Journal entry sheet that I made if you so wish!

1 comment:

  1. I am currently reading 2 books at the present time. I have never attempted to do this but I ran into a dilemma...lol. My hubby bought me the book "The Lincoln Lawyer" for mother's day. I saw the movie and loved it. The Lincoln Lawyer is one of those books I really have to concentrate on, not have any outside distractions or I would find it hard to follow. I like to read at the gym while doing my cardio but I find it hard to read a book because it doesn't stay put very well even with my Reading Rack Book Holder. So I have been reading books on my Kindle while doing my cardio at the gym. I am thoroughly enjoying to read the Lincoln Lawyer but I needed something to read at the gym. So at the gym I am reading "Water for Elephants" on my Kindle. So far it is going pretty good. I would love to get a copy of your PDF of the Book Journal. Thanks for sharing with us =).

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks