Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Growing Fun

Every year, in our garden, I like to grow something fun and different.  Something outside of our regular tomatoes, corn, squash, okra and zucchini and all the other "normal" things that we grow.  Two years ago it was bird house gourds and luffa.  Last year it was Tennessee Twister gourds, luffa again and scarlet runner beans with the addition of flowers to cut and several herbs. 

This year we planted several things that neither of us had any experience with.  So far we have had a small crop out of each new venture.  We have black beans and green peas that have already been harvested.  Sweet potatoes and peanuts that aren't ready to be harvested.  My most exciting are the tomatillos!  So far I have picked five that were ready.  Since they normally grow in hot areas like Mexico I feel our hot summer here in Tennessee has been quite adequate for them to flourish.  I made roasted tomatillo salsa Sunday night that was fantastic (recipe link)  Wonderful taste and very easy to do. 

I am so thankful for my green thumbs and dirt under my fingernails!







Oh my goodness... So good!  We didn't have any tortilla chips so I cut a few flour tortillas and fried them in oil.  Super Yum... UBER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks