Sunday, December 11, 2011

Salt dough Ornaments

Sometimes, simple is key.  When it came down to thinking of decorations for my four foot Christmas tree in the kitchen I wanted something simple, bake-y and kitchen-y.  So I chose a recipe that I found in a library book and I am sorry but I don't remember which one it was.  I rented it last summer and jotted down the recipe just not which book it came from.  My apologies.

Never-the-less, here's what I did last Sunday for my little kitchen tree.

Salt Dough Ornaments
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Whisk flour and salt together.  Add water and stir until well blended.  Turn out on to a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 8-10 minutes.  Do not let the dough become rubbery.  Roll out dough with rolling pin and cut ornaments using cookie cutters or whatever you wish.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet or on parchment paper.  They can be placed 1/2 inch apart as they don't really expand much.  Poke a hole for hanging with a straw.  Bake for 2 hours.





Please tilt your head to the left to get the full affect.
P.S. this recipe made about 24 ornaments
I know 2 hours sounds like a loooong time but seriously... go do something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks