Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Creative Moments

A very special Aunt of mine gave me a very special box.  I don't really think she even knows just how special this box was, maybe she did. 

A lot of the time creative outlets can be snubbed out by lack of the right supplies.  I may not have the right kind of paper for water coloring or a perfectly flat chalk board for drawing.  And then sometimes you learn to use what you've got instead of rushing out to by supplies that won't be used but the one time.

When I got home and went through the box that came from her sweet, sweet Mother that we all loved dearly, I discovered paint brushes, exacto knives, drawing pencils, coloring pencils (real ones!) and two sleeves of pastels.  I have to say I am taking it slow with the new found supplies.  But this past weekend while spending two hours away from home and having a little "me time" I ran across a low priced sketchbook at a book store.  I felt the pages for paper weight and they felt just perfect for the pastels and even water color.  It was thicker than any paper I had at home and had one hundred and ninety two, acid-free pages.  For $9.99 I bought it. 

That evening I used the pastels for the first time.  I had such a ball.  I doodled some flowers in a tea cup on the first page.  On the second page I decided to copy some work I had seen.  I am not a big fan of copying other's work but how else can you learn sometimes but to look, draw, look, draw.  After all, famous sculptors have been copying God's work of human art for centuries. 

The Art Box and Sketchbook.
 The Art Box Supplies.  I adore these paint brushes.
 Sleeve of Pastels.
The Original Artist's Work.
The Copy Cat's Work.  a.k.a. Me
Not too bad I don't think.  I wasn't much pleased with the balcony on the upper left.  I just couldn't get that curve right.  Something to work on.  I did change a few things up because the proportions turned out differently.  Working with the pastels was su much fun.  It has a chalk feel and I guess it kind of is like chalk.  You can make a few squiggles with a piece and then blend it with the tip of your finger to fill the space or combine with a color closeby.  I definately cannot wait to add more pastel work to this book.  I hope to fill the entire book with colorful artwork of my own.  I did note at the beginning of the book the date that I started it.  That could differ greatly from the day I finish the book huh?!

Did I mention the pages are perforated? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks