Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sausage Casserole

Granny made this casserole one evening at her house when we all came over for dinner.  It was so good that I thought about it and thought about it and finally called her a got the recipe.  I have made it twice now for the two of us.  The first time I followed the recipe like a good girl and it turned out wonderful.  The second time was tonight and I veered from the recipe just a touch and guess what... still wonderful. 

Sausage Casserole

1 Lb Sausage
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4  Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
3 Cups Peeled, Sliced Potatoes
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown sausage in skillet, drain on paper towels.  Mix together soup, milk, salt and pepper.  In a two quart greased casserole dish layer potatoes and onion, soup mixture, sausage and cheese.  Repeat layers but omit cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.  Uncover, add remaining cheese and bake for five minutes.

Tonight, in my second version, I browned the sausage with onions and green peppers.  Then drained on paper towels.  I used canned potatoes on the bottom layer then the soup mixture, then sausage and topped with cheese and baked for thirty minutes.  Turned out great. 

This could be served as supper or breakfast!

Raising your own hogs for meat is the way to go here!  Cook til the meat is lightly browned and onions are translucent.
 Canned potatoes, canned soup.
 Easier whisked.
 These I named Shirley Reds after Granny's friend Shirley shared them with me last summer. 
 Layered.
 The rolls got a little too brown on top whilst watching Idol.  Woops.


My Mother is the inspiration for the cheese on pears on lettuce salad. This lovely concotion used to grace our supper plates when we were growing up.  It can even be found in some cookbooks.

Thanks for the recipe Granny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks