Monday, May 14, 2012

Bird Watching: Theme Day

Well I totally started off this post about Butterfly theme day and got the sucker half written and realized I had already posted butterfly day!  Goofball!  What I haven't posted is Bird Watching theme day.  This was a fun one.  Once again, I chose a couple of bird books from the library, a couple of coloring pages, and two crafts for table time.  It becomes a lot to squeeze into one day but I will get used to it once I have more kids at the day care and realize I can slow down a bit.  These themes can actually last all week and a topic such as bird watching would include an outing on Friday to actually bird watch.

Here is a bit about what I put together.




 These are bird feeders made from orange juice cartons. 
I tried painting them a solid color ahead of time but it didn't work. 
Due to the wax coating, the paint just scratched off. 
So I cut out and glued on card stock and painted just the tops.
You cut a square hole leaving enough space at the bottom to hold in bird seed.
 Decorate, then punch a hole in the top and string some yarn through for hanging.
 For the binoculars, I used toilet paper rolls glued together and punched holes on both outsides and strung yard and tied it so they would hang around your neck. 
We decorated them with craft paint and they were good to go.
Nothing fancy... just fun!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute Laurie! I bet the kids had a great time. Speaking of birds, the other night we were out on our back porch enjoying the weather. EmMarie was blowing bubbles. And Cary pointed out that the birdhouse I bought last year that he was so nice to hang up for me had some birds living in it. They were beautiful blue colored birds. The momma bird would fly in and out, it appeared she was feeding her babies, as the daddy would stand watch at the next tree over. We enjoyed watching them. Also, I have had my hummingbird feeder out for while, and I finally got to see one. I was excited because they are my favorite =).

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks