Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Worm in the henhouse

It is 419 am and I am up confessing to my readers that there is a worming in the hen house about to take place.  Not actually right now or this morning as I don't have the dewormer as of yet.  And I hope to goodness that the vet doesn't ask me to bring a chicken in to be evaluated because, well, that's not going to happen. 

I noticed something moving in some runny chicken poo a couple of weeks ago.  I asked the guy at TSC if he may know what it was, since he was loudly telling another customer about the 200+ chickens he raises.  He didn't know what I was talking about which leads me to believe that he could have a worm infestation and not know it.  So, yesterday I was giving the chickens their daily snack outside then hen house and little Pepper jumped on my lap, which is a weird feeling on it's own.  Chicken feet are hot and grippy feeling and eventually lead to, pardon my language, being shit on.  Which happened.  I didn't panic but asked Shaun to promptly hook up the hose pipe.  She got down and I washed off.  During the 10-12 seconds of waiting period there I noticed, once again, something moving in the poo.  A worm.  Which has now woken me up in the middle of the night wondering.

I have looked up online if it is safe to eat the eggs, which come from a different area of the body but in my mind... a parasite is a parasite.  Is this why my nose and sinuses won't clear up?  Does the dog have them? Do the cats have them?  Do I need to clean the entire chicken coop?  Should I just kill the two hens that have been ganging up on the laying hens that think they are roosters all of a sudden or are their bellies just upset because they have worms and they are taking it out on the others?  Do I need an antibiotic just in case?

This is the same way I overreacted when my cat got fleas.  Just get the medicine and take care of it and go back to bed.  Or make coffee and get on with my day.  Sometimes you learn things when you get shit on.  Other times you ignore it when you shouldn't.


My friend Nutmeg here is getting picked on by the roosterette gang pretty hard because she is so pretty.   Which leads me to want to kill both of the butches.  They are probably only doing what their "hormones" are telling them.  But you're picking on my egg source here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks