Monday, September 10, 2012

A Dove Hunt To Remember

Each year, on opening day of dove season in Tennessee, my father-in-law at Sleepin' Bear Lodge and Farms, puts on a dove hunt event.  This year was the seventh annual hunt in which proceeds are donated to Ronald McDonald House of Nashville. 

This year was by far the best and most fun of any dove hunt that I have been to, and I have been in attendance at the last five.  We all pitch in and help cook.  Shaun fires up the smoker, I dig out the 16 inch cast iron skillet for cornbread and Granny and her friends make the desserts.  Door prizes are handed out and at 12:00 pm the hunters are delivered to their hunting spots for the afternoon of shots going off and doves a flyin! 

The weather was perfect, although we had one rain shower, some sun, and then a big rain shower.  After the second rain the doves were everywhere.  After firing off some shots and missing several dove (it's not easy to hit a flying bird) I grabbed my camera and figured I would definitely get some good shots in one way or another.  It was actually poetic as I had Shaun's ear protection on with the radio station in them tuned to a jazz station.  So Jazz narrated my hunt.  Quite nice. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks