Thursday, November 15, 2012

Best Clay Ever

Seriously, this is the easiest and most kid friendly recipe I have found.  I by kid friendly I don't mean it is edible.  I would eat it and once it is finished I really don't think you could it is so hard. edit: seriously?! i need to start proof reading.  what i meant to say is... And by kid friendly I don't mean it is edible.  I wouldn't eat it and once it is finished I really don't think you could it is so hard.

This is a great recipe for making charms, Christmas tree ornaments, jewelry, gift tags, whatever!!  We made this at my day care yesterday but I have been itching to make it for a while.  I made the actual clay then the kids pounded it out and cut shapes.  Then I did the baking and they did the painting.  So in the morning hours they made them and after nap time they painted them.  It really worked out especially to give the clay time to harden.  Fantastic stuff I tell you!

Best Clay Ever

1 cup cornstarch, plus more for dusting
1 box 16 oz baking soda
1 1/2 cups water
wax paper

In 2 quart sauce pan, combine cornstarch and baking soda.  Stir in water.  Heat in medium low until thick and begins to form a ball.  This should take about 10-15 minutes depending on temperature of clay.  Turn dough ball out onto cornstarch dusted surface.  Knead until cooled and smooth.  Your clay is now ready to mold and shape or cut out or whatever.  You can store left over clay in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap or a zipper bag for up to three weeks. 

Place shapes on to wax paper lined baking sheets.  Bake in preheated to 300 degrees oven for 30 minutes.  Turn oven off and leave baking trays in the oven for one hour.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.

We used regular acrylic craft paint on ours.  I tried to water down the paint as water color but it absorbed and would take the finishing spray.  I like everything to shine so I gave ours a quick spray of gloss once the paint was dry. 

These are super simple to make and semi-addictive.  One batch makes about two cups of clay and endless possibilities.  The finished product is really hard.  I threw one on the tile floor last night and it didn't break.  Have fun!


 The mashed potato phase.
 OK maybe a little more than two cups.  It does go a long way.

 I love the fingerprints!





These kids were so proud of their work!  Each child made two of which one we made in to a necklace and the other will be on our Christmas tree at the day care.  Fun Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks