Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review

Two weeks before Christmas I was wishing I had a good read to sink in to.  Something to keep my mind on track and semi away from the Holiday jumbo.  As luck would have it I logged on to the library's website and typed in Alan Bradley, the Flavia de Luce creator and found a fourth book in the Flavia series!  I was so tickled.  The book name is I Am Half-Sick of Shadows and it is based at Christmas time.  How ironic that was!  I requested it and picked it up in a few short days.  It feels so good to wrap my mind around a good story with twists and turns.  Here are a few of my favorite lines from the book.

Flavia: Most chemists, whether they admit it or not, have a favorite corner of their craft in which they are forever tinkering, mine is poisons.

Phyllis Wyvern: Kitchens are the hot beds of scandal.

Flavia: Grumblers are deaf to any voices but their own.

Dogger: I believe a man named Aristotle once said that we delight to contemplate things such as dead bodies, which in themselves would give us pain, because in them, we experience a pleasure of learning which outweighs the pain.

I recited that last one to myself when I was helping my husband gut a deer shortly after I finished the book. 


I currently have found myself hooked on another book to be reviewed soon.  And also I found a cool website called Goodreads from a friends blog who uses it.  I have desired to find a place to compile a list of books that I want to read and so forth without having to request them from the library before I am ready.  This seems to be partly what this website is all about.  I was hooked on it for over an hour last night.  Once I have finished my lists I plan to post them under the Reading tab of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks