Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Checked Out

I know you probably like it better when I do reviews on the picture books that I rent from the library, but I do read as well.  I like to read before I go to sleep because it makes me... well sleepier and helps me to sort of decompress before I dream so I'm not lying there pondering over the day's events. 
 
This author is a well known one and I feel a tad honored to read his works because they are good.  And I mean good.  I have also read two other books from him since I finished this one and he just tells a story so well and within one paragraph you can picture exactly where you are even to whom is there and what the place smells like.  I love it.  Sucks me right in.  My book this week is:  
 
 
A Moveable Feast
 
By: Ernest Hemingway
 
Year Published: 1964
 
 
I really liked this book, although it pretty much just took you from place to place and I wasn't sure if there was some fiction to it or if it all was his real life.  I did adore it and wound up writing excerpts several times in my journal.  One of them being: 
 
"When spring came, even the false spring, there were no problems except where to be happiest.  The only thing that could spoil a day was people and if you could keep from making engagements, each day had no limits.  People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself."
 
I liked the way he told a story about each person and the thought that they were probably people he really knew made it all the more fascinating to me. 
 
Checked Out Rating: 10
 

 
I love the cover of this book with no dust jacket.  I didn't take it off.. it didn't come with one.  It had such a vintage library book feel to it.  Although someone had marked all through the book with a pencil of which I completely despise, squaring off of paragraphs as if they were working on a book report who knows how long ago like some graffiti thug in the night.  Tacky. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks