Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Checked Out: The Witch's Daughter

My book this week on Checked Out is
 
The Witch's Daughter
 
By: Paula Brackston
 
This book literally took me four days to read, which is pretty amazing that a book captured my attention and held it until I finished it.  I read every chance I got and loved it.  This book really had several intense moments.  It began in the 1600's and, towards the end of the book, wound up in the 2000's.  Wild.  I loved reading about the main character's garden and planting and herbs and concoctions that she sold.  Some of the witchy part I didn't understand nor believe in and I wasn't truly impressed with the end of the book although it left the story well. 
 
I have to admit something I did.  I was more than three fourths of the way into this book when I went on GoodReads.com to see what else this author had written and happened on reviews of the book that I was reading.  I wish I hadn't done this.  I like to pick up a book, knowing nothing about it, and read it.  I don't even like to read the outside or inside flap that gives you a little insight to what the book is about.  I don't like to form opinions about the book before I have read every word and reading a couple of reviews on this book made me think different of it by the time I got to the end.  I think I would have found it more believable or interesting if I hadn't read a negative review from another reader.  BooHoo.  I like the book anyway!  I want to go back and read the gardening parts.  They really did inspire me to work in my own herb garden.  I love making oils and extracts and such and connected with the character in that way.  Therefore I give the book a high rating.
 
Checked Out Rating: 9
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks