Monday, May 6, 2013

Not So Local Spotlight: Bluegrass Underground

My Dad's birthday is in February.  My Dad is a lover and picker of bluegrass music.  My Dad is also a big fan of caves and underground rooms and passageways.  For my Dad's birthday this year, I though it would be fantastic to combine the two and take my Father to Bluegrass Underground
 
Bluegrass Underground is in McMinnville, Tennessee located inside the cave at Cumberland Caverns.  It is 333 feet below ground, a fine 56 degrees year round, and is in what they call a natural amphitheater named the Volcano Room with the most fabulous natural acoustic sound.  They have a stage inside the room along with seating, restrooms and a snack bar.  We got to see two bands.  The first one called Seryn, was a good band and we enjoyed their music although it was not traditional bluegrass style stuff but did give us a mix of music.  The main band there was The Boxcars which was pure, out right bluegrass... like we like!  Fantastic show!  The music lasted from one until four o'clock with a slight intermission with the change of bands.  They have music there once and sometimes twice a month.  I booked our tickets for an April show.  We actually had tickets for the whole shabang which included about an hour cave tour before the show that was pretty awesome in itself.  There are five very large rooms in the cave along with a waterfall, stalactites, stalagmites, natural formations and a few bats flying around.  I really liked that we did both the tour and the music but if you just went to see the music you could possibly have enough of a view of the cave.  There are soot and torch writings from the 1800's from people exploring that I thought was super cool.  We did have enough time to eat some lunch between the tour and the show from the snack bar. 
 
All in all I had a great time and my Dad really enjoyed his birthday present! 
Something much better than a doily or skates!  (little inside joke with my sisters! I gotta tease!)
 
 
The cave entrance.  A small hike from the gift shop where you pick up your tickets.
It was a very rainy Saturday!  Good thing it wasn't raining inside the cave!

 This is the Volcano Room where the show was.  We passed over it on the tour!


My Pa.

Stairway on the tour.

Formations.

We sat right under the 1500 pound chandelier!

Seryn

The Boxcars
 
It was hard for me to get good pictures inside the cave.  I hate using the flash on my camera and it is almost a must for any sort of clarity but is just too bright for my taste.  Oh Well. 
 
You can catch Bluegrass Underground on AM 650 at 5:00P.M. on Saturday nights or watch for it on NPT channel 8.


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks