Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Late May Garden

Shaun has been heard to say that with the success of planting our garden much later than usual this year that we may wait to plant every year!  We actually had to put off planting for a few weeks because of the moisture in the ground where our garden is, plus our work schedules, but mostly the moisture.  We planted last Sunday, May 26th, and because of the moisture still in the ground and the ground temperature being much warmer our plants were sprouting up by Thursday with no rain or watering.  By Friday almost everything we planted was showing signs of life above ground.  Amazing.  Our corn is up, green beans, black eyed peas, rattlesnake peas, zucchini, squash, and pumpkins.  I will venture out this morning to see what else is up and begin hoeing the weeds that are trying to sprout.  I also planted my new herbs and zinnias and cleome that I raised from seed.  I will also proudly state that out of about 65 tomato plants and began all but a six pack from seed this year and they look fantastic so far.  I also began our cabbage and eggplant indoors.  My garlic will be ready to pick on the longest day of the year, June 20th, and judging by the size of the stalks we should have a good crop this year and that's good because I am almost out!  Gardening is so satisfying and so much fun but is a lot of work and maintenance but the rewards can't be beat.  I absolutely cannot wait to have a big fat homegrown tomato sliced up with supper.

 Slight update: my dill pictured is gone and the teeth of a rabbit and it hurts my garden heart.  It ate the stalks and left the leaves and luckily I caught them before they wilted so I can dry them.









No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks