Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Garlic Time

Hi folks.  During this August Break I'm taking, I felt it necessary to send out a friendly reminder.
 
As you may know, I live in Tennessee and have tried growing garlic many times of the year.  The only times, however, I have successfully grown garlic was when I listened to an Old Wives Tale. 
 
Plant garlic on the shortest day of the year and harvest on the longest day of the year.
 
Meaning, plant garlic in late fall and harvest in June.  Works like a charm.  We wound up with 41 really good heads of garlic this year to my delight. 
 
 
If you live in this area of the US, My two suggestions are these.
One.  Buy garlic early.  If you wait, it will be gone.
Two.  Buy the Softneck variety.  They braid well and they grow well in this warmer climate.
 
You can find garlic on many different websites.  I buy mine from Burpee.com.  Have for the past few years.  And even they run out quickly.  But they are reliable.  I also snuck in a lettuce mix of seeds for Fall.  And I plan on planting the largest bulb from each head of garlic that I grew this year and see how they do.  Happy Garlicking!
 
So there... back to the Break.