Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Repotting Funeral Arrangements

Some might ask, "why?" Why repot funeral plants?  Who wants them?  Not many.  Most of the time people don't like to keep plants that are sent to funeral homes.  Mainly because I think there are more people who don't like houseplants than those who do.  I happen to be one of those who can't say no.  That doesn't mean to shove a basket of plants in my arms if I visit the funeral home. 
Please don't.  I have enough to keep up with.  
 
This summer, I repotted three arrangements that wound up having sixteen different plants between them.  I found up as many empty pots and planting vessels as I could, placed driveway gravel in the bottom, then dirt and got to work.  I separated each little plant with care and gave each a new home.  Sadly, I was able to let a couple of them go... somehow... and I wound up with fourteen plants that happily graced our porch with greenery for the rest of the summer.  Even outside, the plants didn't need a whole lot of water and those tropical ones love the shaded warmth that our porch offers.  Now when cold temperatures arrive I will decide what to do because I don't have my greenhouse yet.  Some will go to the DC and some will be brought inside our home for the winter.  I'd like to say and have said that I will only bring a few in and let the cold take the rest.  But who am I kidding?!?!