Wednesday, August 23, 2017

beans about it

Hey y'all!  You know.. I was not a bean fan growing up.  I have liked green beans for years but not as a child.  The beans I am talking about are more of speckled, black eyed peas, butter beans... you know the kind.  In the last year I have mastered the way I make them.  Even Shaun likes them spoonful after spoonful.  My secret it in the bacon, onion and vegetable broth I use.  I don't just throw them in there.  First I put pieces of bacon and slices of onion in a pot and turn the heat up.  I don't cook the bacon all the way but enough to make some grease for the onions to semi-fry in.  Next I put in the broth and let it start heating up then add the beans, salt, pepper and about a tablespoon of parsley.  I put the lid on the  pot and keep the heat high until I see a good boil.  Then I turn it down to about 2 and let them cook for a while.  Most of the time it's about an hour.  I've let them go longer and I've took them off before the hour.  Just depends on when everything else is done cooking.  I don't add any more broth or water.  As long as the top is on they shouldn't dry up at all.  And I put almost the whole carton of broth.  If I had canned broth I would use the 15 ounce or whatever can and maybe add water.  The box of broth is 32 oz.  I hardly ever use the whole thing.  Just to make sure the beans are covered well with liquid.  I also have gotten used to using frozen beans and not canned.  I just like them better.  So there... my master bean recipe.  Loved round the world... or maybe just my world.  Love ya!

By the way... the secret to not getting the farts if using canned beans is to rinse them with water very well when you first open the can.  Just dump them in a strainer and rinse off the juice that they have been sitting in since they last saw day light.  That is the pooty stuff.  You still might get the toots a little bit but not near as bad.   :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks