Thursday, July 23, 2009

Well Pickle Me Spears!


Tuesday night while canning the fifth batch Shaun's favorite pickles he said to me "you don't have to just make the pickles that I like... why don't you make yourself some dill ones like you like". Besides from being sweet, I've been pondering on this question ever since. I made dill pickles last year from a packaged mix and wasn't happy with the results. For one I used a mix that could not be canned. Of course I used jars but I want a long storage time too and the taste just wasn't what I wanted either. So I decided to find a good recipe for Kosher Dill Pickles to make for myself cause if I'm gonna make em they're gonna be good!


I've decided to go ahead and used the Lime canning method to crisp up my pickles... I am going to make spears. If I were going to use smaller pickles I probably wouldn't do this. There's just something I like in this method because it also involves patience. When I use pickling lime it revolves around my daily routine of a working schedule. First I'll wash and cut my cucumbers in the evening. Then place them in my big pot to soak in 1 cup of lime to 2 gallons of water. This process almost pickles me... it makes my skin crack on my fingers. It goes away. I let this sit overnight then the next morning I rinse them 3 times and put them back in the pot alternating layers with ice. I cover the batch with water and place is in the fridge until I get home from work. This is where the fun begins. From this point I will drain the spears for my dills. (P.S. Using lime and cold bath soak will insure me that my spears will stay crispy like I like. I may loose a few seeds but that's OK.) Then I will pack them nicely into my quart jars inserting 1 teaspoon chopped garlic and dill heads into each jar. Not sure how many dill heads just yet since I'll be using what I've grown this year, I'll have to see how much I have.


On the stove in another pot I will bring 4 cups white vinegar, 12 cups water and 2/3 cup pickling salt to a rapid boil. This mixture will be poured into each jar covering the spears and leaving 1/4" head space. Then I'll put my hot lids on and process them in hot water for 15 minutes. The recipes I have looked at say to leave them alone for 5 to 8 weeks so it looks like dill pickles take even more patience. That seems to be a good ingredient to most recipes. :)


I've never felt like I was one to study or research but when I was looking up recipes for this I found myself deep in research looking through herb books and old canning books that I have. I guess it's all in what interests you. This is the research and studying that I've always thrown myself into and enjoyed... for the love of cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks