Monday, July 20, 2009

Why didn't I thunk of that?

Well Happy Monday everybody! Last winter (should have done it then) I needed some magazine holders to hold the subscribed to magazine that I can't seem to throw away. "Thinking creatively" I went to the internet to find a pattern to make my own. I found several do-it-yourself versions and saved a few boxes and have finally done this space saver craft project. I thought I would share with my friends and maybe inspire someone else to organize using what you have. Of course you can go to Walmart and buy them but I like to save whenever I can and with a little time I have one more thing personalized in my home.
So here what you need:
A box... needs to be semi-rectangle and big enough to stand up magazines in... a suggestion is to use a priority mail box that you have received mail in.. they give them away for free but that's just wrong to use a free box!?!? I also used a vinegar box thet 2 gallons came in.
Next you need a marker, knife, scraps of paper, fabric, pictures, phone book pages.. whatever you have, a larger piece of felt or fabric for the bottom, a paint brush, and modpodge or Elmer's glue and a little water and 1 crafting friend cause it's more fun that way :)

Follow the pictures for your instructions. You can measure out the angles or just freehandedly draw your cutting lines on the box. Using a knife slice the box following your marks all the way around. Mail boxes will make 2 magazine boxes. Use scraps and fabric or whatever you have to cover the outside of the box using Modpodge or watered down glue. I like to glue a larger piece of felt or fabric on the bottom just so they'll scoot better on shelving.

Have fun!! We sure did and we have nice magazine storage boxes to show for it!

P.S. These girls are holding crafty magazine boxes that they seem very proud of!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try it!!! I have many magazines, that I just can't get myself to get rid of. What an awesome idea. Convenient, cheap, save money, and personalize....Just fantastic!!! I always look forward to reading your blogs. You should open a store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It works with cereal boxes too, though they're not as steady.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks