Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It's Your Tush... Tame It!

Howdy Doo All! Several weeks ago while listening to the Martha Stewart channel on my satellite radio I came across a tip from a guest speaker. A caller asked the pro a question that I have often wondered myself so I piped in and listened good. The caller said that for exercise she walks and sometimes jogs but still cannot "tame her tush" which seems to be her problem area in her eyes. The speaker told her to get a set of five pound ankle weights and begin with simple leg lifts and knee lifts. I perked up and thought.. I can do that.. or at least try!

I'm not the type person to go to the gym or join an aerobics class. I like to do things on my own time and preferably where no one else can watch! I maintain a healthy weight by walking and running almost every day but like most bodies when you hit a certain age things just "move" when you don't want them to and you either watch it jiggle or do something about it. My daily walk while good for me physically was not "taming my tush" either.

For my birthday I asked my Mr. to check in on getting me a pair of ankle weights. When my birthday arrived on the 18th he delivered! I did get ankle weights. They are 2 1/2 pounds for each ankle which is really probably better to begin with. The Monday following my birthday and right after my walk I tried them out. I didn't have a routine to go by so I made up my own. To my surprise it was simple and took hardly no time and I was done. The next day I felt a mild soreness in muscles that I didn't know I had. I have been using the ankle weights for only 10 days now and I am shocked at the results that I have so far. Now I am sure that the combination of walking and using the weights help each other out but I highly recommend giving either or both of them a good try. Right way or wrong way, here's what I am doing each evening:

Standing at my kitchen counter (reading a magazine or cooking) I do a 10 count leg lift, with each leg, out to the side with my leg straight. Then 10 count knee lift, with each leg, just lifting my foot behind me. If I'm not finished reading then I'll do this twice.

Next, since I have hardwood floors, I grab a couch pillow, get down on all fours with my knees on the pillow and lift each knee to the side in an L shape. I call this a knee lift. This exercise burns a little so surely it's helping. After a 10 count for each leg, I add a 10 count of lifting my foot into the air behind me for each leg. Make sure no one is standing behind you on this one!

Lastly, I lay on my back with the pillow under my tush and perform the old faithful bicycle in the air trick for 20 count. The entire routine takes... well you can count.

You can get a decent set of ankle weights for under $20.00. Give it a try and after a couple of weeks let me know what you think! If nothing else... Jane Fonda would be proud!

1 comment:

  1. These sound like what I need. Well, I probably need a whole lot more than just these, but at least they might help.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks