Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Planting For Spring

Hello everyone! Thanks for visiting! I have to say that although the fall colors are beautiful and there is nothing like the quiet peacefulness of a winter's snow, I am a spring girl. Spring is what gets me through the cold winter months with nature in all it's nakedness. A thought of warm days and spring flowers just tickles me.

I always love the first signs of spring. My favorite being the perks of spring bulbs popping up. Yellow daffodils blooming and tulips galore... there's just not much that I like more. (how'd you like that rhyme?) This year I decided to try my hand at planting bulbs in containers. We haven't yet landscaped at Hulsey Manor and the Mr. does fancy using weed killer so I have to be careful of where to plant my lovelies.

Yesterday, while at the do it yourself store I decided to pick up the bulbs that should bloom the earliest which are crocus. Since you only have to plant them about two inches deep I had a better selection of containers at home that I could use. I also bought a package of tulips. They required a much deeper pot since they need six inches of growing room.

Planting bulbs in containers is easy. Just make sure the object you use has drain holes because the bulbs will rot if left too wet. I say "object" because I've been known to plant in some strange things. As long as it's got a drain hole... it's a flower pot in my eyes! Here's what I did:

I picked out what I wanted to plant in, put some rocks in the bottom for better drainage and filled the container with potting soil up to about three inches from the top of the bowl. Next I placed the crocus bulbs where I wanted them and filled almost the rest of the way with soil on top of the bulbs. I always put a layer of mini pine bark mulch (about $2.50 for the big bag at Wal-Mart). It helps to keep the soil moist and provides an extra layer of insulation for the tiny bulbs in this case. Finally I watered them using a little fertilizer mixed in and placed them outside on the porch. Be sure to water them at least once a week if they aren't exposed to natural rain. I truly hope this works and am looking forward to posting pictures of my results in February or March!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What fun. I think i have some garlic or onion bulbs to plant, can i do those now?

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks