Monday, March 21, 2011

Pretty Little Things

I love a good Saturday early morning phone call with my sister that begins with "yard sale" or "estate sale" and ends in "see you in a few." It means there are deals to be hunted for and found. Deals that we are durn near professionals at finding. We aren't the coo coos that show up as the homeowners are rolling out of bed or still unpacking boxes. We figure they get all the junk out of the way so the good stuff can be seen. And good stuff we found this past Saturday! We hit two estate sales but could have actually called it quits after the first one. The prices were oh so right to begin with but as we walked in the door, this being the last day of the sale, we heard the words "Half Off." Music to our ears. The pickin' began and here's what I found.


I ADORE stitch work, needlepoint. These were made by a lady named Betty Smith and range in dates from 1975 to 1979. There were a lot more there than the five that I bought but these were my faves.
These little geese were my first pick ups. No makers mark or dates that I could find. Aren't they just a pair of cuties though. For fifty cents I couldn't say no to them.

This pair of cookbooks turned out to be a real find once I got them home. My guess is that they are part of a book-a-month club. They are full of separate cookbooks on subjects from The French Cookbook to The Lunchbox Cookbook. They are from the mid fifties and are so colorful and jam packed with recipes.


These two prints are actually framed ceramic tiles that could be taken apart and installed. The sayings are from Poor Richard's Almanac (whatever that is)and have great vintage kitchen appeal. Not sure what I'll do with them yet but the more I look at them the more I like them and for a dollar... couldn't leave them behind.
The trunk actually came from a yard sale that I didn't want to stop at. When you can see tons of kid clothes and toys from the road I am liable to opt out. Not my sister... she's a true picker. There were two trunks, this one being a little smaller than the other (and locked!) They had three dollars marked on them and when we showed interest the homeowner dropped the price to two for five dollars... sold. We wound up flipping a dime to see which one got which one. The enamel teapot (enamelware being my other love besides my husband and pets) in it's orange glory was a great find by my sister. We speak an unspoken language when it comes to enamel... I get it. She gets the roosters :) She held it up and I held out my hands and wound up buying it for one dollar. Word to the wise and curious... Trophies are "in" in home decorating. Coming to a mantle near you.
I have to begin summing this up but it is hard to do. I came home with a trunk, and chair and two sacks full of goodies from two estate sales and two yard sales and all was picked, bought and home within a three hour time span. I told you.. we are professionals here. Don't mess with us and don't get in our way... we'll see you at the next sale down the road.

Here's the overview pic. It includes everything but the chair... I think. It may not look like much to you. You may have chosen totally different items. Or you may have sat your happy tail on the couch. But these are my Saturday morning treasures carefully chosen and picked. Keep in mind that the opportunity was there to bring home much, much more but I am married and I want to keep it that way. And the season has just begun.

Oh and here's the chair... and my FooFee. Thanks for your interest in my worldly goods. Not worldly really... just Springfield.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow...looks like you made out like a bandit!!! The picture of Foofee on the chair is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks