Saturday, April 16, 2011

Easter Eggs... Hollow Style

I love colored Easter Eggs as everyone should but for some reason hate to waste the inside of the egg.  Something about just what that hen went through to create it.  Anyway, instead of hard boiling my eggs to color I poke holes and blow out the insides into a bowl and make omelets, use them in cake batter, make a quiche for cryin out loud... I just don't like to waste them. 

I saw a documentary of a single lady once that said you can freeze eggs.  Not while still in their shells, but as yolk and white.  She also said that you could half an egg.  By cracking the egg into a bowl, mixing it up and dividing it in two.  There's a good hint for the single cook when the recipe calls for one egg. 

So to get the insides out of the egg, you gently and I mean gently poke a hole in the top of the egg using a straight pin.  Just push the pin into the shell ever so slightly and it will go. 


Next put your fore finger over that hole and turn the egg over to have bottoms up and poke three small holes like a triangle and then break out the center.  This hole needs to be bigger than the top hole and poking three right together makes it a lot easier to get this one the right size. 


Put your thumb and finger over both hole and give it a good shake to break the yolk.

Stop laughing right now so you can do this step!
Over a bowl, put your lips on the top of the egg and blow the insides out into the bowl.  If they don't come out very easily, take your pin and either make the bottom hole a little bit bigger or use the pin to mix up the egg.  Shake it some more and blow again.  Come on... puff those cheeks up! 


Run water into the bigger hole to wash any excess yolk out of the egg.  We don't want no stankin eggs!
When you color these eggs you have to hold them under the color water obviously because they are empty and not heavy like boiled eggs.  They will also retain a little water so drain them well.


To color my eggs I used a coffee cup half full of boiling water, 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar and 5 or 6 drops of food coloring.  You don't have to have that store bought stuff. 


Waalaa... empty Easter Eggs and no egg guts wasted!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! I so needed this, this morning. I love the informative pics on just how to do the correct steps! I will be doing this with my nephews this weekend, wich me luck!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks