Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sending Kisses

And before we knew it a new tradition for us was born this year. 

Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving, we gathered as planned at the farm of our friends' in Goodlettsville where I had spied bunches of mistletoe last winter when sledding.  Our farm does not have mistletoe anywhere.  I have searched and searched with no luck.  Matter of fact there's just not much up here on the hill.  Maybe it's the slight change of altitude.  But downhill there's mistletoe a plenty as you can see from our final kill shot of five full plastic grocery bags full (and we could have gotten more!)

Five of us anxiously headed out into the woods, shotguns and bags in hand, on four wheelers.  We shot and caught and gathered for a couple of hours.  Such fun... every bit I thought it would be.  We wound up with tons!  We hung some here and there and still had a lot left.  My thoughts got a little farther away wondering if mistletoe grew in Texas and in Florida where I have family.  Then I thought "hey!... Kisses from Tennessee!"  I tied ribbons on springs and tucked them into small jewelry sized boxes.  I went to my favorite vintage graphics site, The Graphics Fairy, and snagged a nice vintage deer with antlers pic in red (because my silly printer refuses to print in black and will soon be replaced with a printer that will.)  I printed the tiny cards on white card stock, cut them and folded them.  I placed a loving message to three far away family members, tucked the small boxes into mailing envelopes and sent them on their merry way on my lunch break on Monday.

I don't know what about using our mail system to mail something special gives me the fuzzies but it does.  To think that one day mistletoe was hanging at the tip tops of trees and a few days later it is hopefully adorning the doorway thirteen hours away by car.  Fuzzy. 




1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely gift! The red ink looks lovely. Perhaps you have just ran out of black ink?

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks