Saturday, January 14, 2012

Black Bean Delish Side Dish

I have had a thing for black beans for some time now.  I love a good tasty heap of well-seasoned black beans on a chip with a nice dollop of sour cream resting on top.  When I cook black beans as a side dish it's hard for me to keep a spoon out of the pot while they are cooking! 

Last summer, I tried my hand a growing black beans in our garden.  What an easy thing to do and such fantastic surprise to shell the dried bean pods.  I ended up with a couple of quart sized canning jars full and a big smile from me!  It is probably cheaper to buy a bag or can of beans at the store but it's not near as much fun.  And a gardener's job should always be rewarding.  That's why I like to try new things in the garden.  I've already been seed shopping and have my magazine marked with sharpie and post-its all throughout. 

Black Bean Delish Side Dish

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
water
1 packet Sazon
1/4 cup ketchup
a handful each of green pepper, red pepper and onion chopped (how's that for measuring)
1 clove garlic minced
4 or 5 dashes hot sauce (please do not omit this, and please use Texas Pete)
a few dashes black pepper

In a sauce pot, cover black beans with water, doubled (meaning about an inch over the beans.)  Add all ingredients to pot and cook at a simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

If you choose to use dry beans, soak the beans overnight.  Drain beans the next day.  Use the steps in the canned bean recipe except increase cooking time by an hour and water by 2 cups. 






I seriously wish I had a picture of the finished product but sometimes you gotta blog when the moment hits you.  I am making my black beans for lunch and they have another 30 minutes to cook so.  You'll just have to make them and see!


BTW - if you don't have a garlic mincer or don't feel like getting it out and washing it after, here's an easy trick.

Place the peeled garlic clove between a small folded sheet of wax paper.  Lay a wide knife on top of the garlic and give it a good whack or two.  Chop slightly and you're good to go.  You dont' have to use a knife, just anything non-breakable with a solid surface for crushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks