Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Saving Herbs

Harvesting and drying herbs from the garden during the summer is just as important as harvesting the vegetables.  If you want them for winter use that is.  I have found an easy way to dry and put up herbs that really doesn't take much time at all, and they sure look pretty in the mean time.

When we had our cabinets built for our new house, I asked for the old fashioned shelves around the kitchen window.  Our cabinet man looked at me funny and said "the old dust shelves?"  I said "Yep, I don't mind dusting them."  And they do collect a tad of dust at times but I find them very useful as I spend a lot of time in our kitchen.

This year, I have installed something fancy.  A stick between the top two "dust shelves."  I adore it!  I used an old tobacco stick but you can use any stick or broom handle, whatever fits!  If you don't have dust shelves, take your curtain down and use the rod or you can buy a tension rod for just a few dollars and put it from cabinet to cabinet over your kitchen sink.



I purchased a roll of cheap twine at the dollar store.  Cut a piece of twine about a foot long and tie a knot towards the bottom.  Before you tighten the knot place the stem of your cut herbs inside, then tighten.  Make several knots in order to hang dry several pieces of the same herb.  Be sure to leave ample space in between knots so the twigs aren't touching.  End the section by simply tying it to the stick.





In a couple of weeks your herbs will be dry.  Cut them down and crumble them onto a paper towel.  Then transfer them into air tight containers and label.



You can also hang herbs that you buy from the grocery store instead of throwing out what you don't use or letting them go bad in the refrigerator.



I wish I could remember the exact words that my friend Jennifer used to describe the dill that I gave her for Christmas last year.  I knew that she fancied using dill, so I grew and dried more than usual for her last summer.  They make great gifts and are very useful in your own kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks