Wednesday, February 3, 2016

a tiny suitcase tutorial

I guess we all knew this was bound to happen right?!?!
With all the dollhouse mayhem going on around here I knew I would eventually get around to sharing how I did something.  While I was thumbing through Pinterest looking for attic ideas I saw a couple of tutorials and watched them.  One made suitcases out of clay and the other a match box.  I liked the second one but the majority of it was way too complicated and perfect for me.  Mine would never look as good as that and frankly it doesn't need to.  I am not a perfectionist and like to take the easy route.  My motto is "If you think it's got to be perfect then you worry about a lot of shit that really doesn't matter." 
 
During naptime on Tuesday I happily threw my first tiny suitcase together.  Then while I was rummaging through a draw in the office I found a little jewelry box that only had twenty or so sequins in it.  It may be a little bit big for my dollhouse but I figured I could take some pictures and show you how I made the first one.  OK... so here goes the supply list.
 
 
1 iddy biddy box
Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue
Scrap pieces of leather (Thanks again Barb!!!)
Black card stock
Scissors
Gold craft paint
 
First... make your area look like you are ready to craft.  I prepared food in this same spot an hour before this!

Pull your leather or fabric up around your box to make sure it will lap over each other and cut out a good rectangle.  You can always trim it down if it's too big.  You can't add to.

Making sure it will fit before I glue.  I did straighten this edge out.

Apply glue to the top of your box and lay it top down into the center of your leather.  Press down for a good fit.  Let it set for ten minutes or less if you are impatient like me.

Cut straight towards each corner so you end up with four flaps to glue up.

Apply glue on each end, one at a time, and pull leather up gluing it down as you go.

Then glue the larger sides, gluing and pulling as you go.

Trim off any excess leather with scissors.  Looks like a little brief case doesn't it?  This will actually be the bottom or back so you won't see this.

The covered box... and my first suitcase.

For this one I cut strips of black cardstock for the straps with my handy dandy cutter and trimmed the end to a point.

Apply glue to one side of the cardstock and bend into place, pressing down as you go until they overlap a bit.

I cut a smaller piece of cardstock and bent it up for the handle.

I trimmed the ends on it too and glued it down.

Too fancy!  And while the glue is drying I might as well let some paint be drying too!

One tutorial said she ordered the fancier gold bits for the corners and clasp look from ebay.  I don't have that kind of patience... or care... or money to throw around... not that they would cost an arm and a leg... but you get it.

I painted circles as best I could on each corner and also gave my suitcase little button fasteners and gold "holes" going up the straps.  I also wrote down my motto as it came to me on my paint plate.

I wound up giving them a little bit of "use" look by dabbing and streaking brown paint on the green one and white paint of the brown one... lightly... on the corners and belts.

I swiped some travel "stickers" from one of the tutorials (they said it was ok), printed them out, sprayed them with a top coat spray and cut and glued them out.  Aren't they cute?!  I only picked the ones of places I'd like to go.

And here they are!  Attic ready and literally took me about twenty minutes to make.
 
I thought this picture was clearer than it turned out to be.  Oh well!  Maybe you will recognize them in my dollhouse when the day comes that I actually put all the things I've made into it.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks