Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Coconut Goodies

Enough already!!! Let's get to the sweet stuff!

If you stop by my house on a Sunday afternoon you are likely to smell something sweet coming from the kitchen. My "Sunday sweet tooth" kicks in about mid day. Sometimes it's just because I want to spend time in my kitchen creating something. Sometimes it is so we'll have something sweet for our lunches during the week. Regardless of the reason for making it, it's generally there.

This past weekend was no exception. Sunday afternoon rolled around and the cravings began. I looked around to see what I had, which was slim pickins in my opinion. I did manage to find three half used bags of coconut in the freezer so my recipe search began. I went to my old faithful, red and white checkered, Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and located an easy recipe for Coconut Macaroons. They turned out so good and tasty that I thought I'd share them with you.

Coconut Macaroons

2 egg whites (by the way you can freeze the yolks for use later)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold in coconut. Drop mixture by rounded teaspoons onto baking sheets two inches apart. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies onto wire rack to let cool. Makes about 30 cookies.

These cookies are so light and just a tad crunchy around the edges and taste so good. I snuck a sackful into my Mr.'s lunchbox today after he had made his lunch. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised come lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks