Monday, July 25, 2011

Grilled Summer Squash

In our household there's just nothing like the smell of squash, picked from our garden, frying in a pan.  Dipped in milk then breaded, simply in flour, with a teeny dash of salt and pepper is how we like them.
Until today...

I do have to say that I am a bigger fan than Shaun of the recipe I am about to share.  He is a generalist and likes to stick with what works most of the time.  Although he will try anything and I mean anything that I cook.  He always say "Mmmm that's the best I have ever tasted!"  He's goood. 

It is July 25th and we are just a smidgen over run with yellow, crooked neck squash right now.  I, for one, am just not happy with freezing squash.  Last year I even breaded and froze it with high hopes that were disappointed this past winter when all the breading stuck to the freezer foil.  I don't want to be let down again so I am trying my best to use what we've got.  Nuff said... here's the recipe!

Grilled Summer Squash

3-4 medium sized squash
olive oil
sea salt
pepper
butt rub... that's right.. Butt Rub (if you don't got it... get it!)

Slice both ends off each squash.  Half the body of the squash.  Brush olive oil on each flat side of the squash.  Sprinkle sea salt, pepper and butt rub on to each piece.  Place on the grill at the same time your steaks and corn (or whatev) are cooking with the skin side down.  After about ten minutes turn the squash over to have the flat side down.  Cook about ten more minutes and remove to a plate.

See.. that was easy!  dang they were good too.  Like I said I like them better than Shaun did.  He ate skin and all.  I kindof ate mine like watermelon and just ate the inside leaving the skin on my plate.  A great addition to our lovely summer meal tonight. 



1 comment:

  1. I have to try that!!! I usually marinate mine in Dales.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks