Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Farm Documentary

I have been so fascinated with herbs and herb books lately.  I want someone to come to our farm, walk around with me, and tell me what each and every wildflower, tree and possible herb is growing here.  There are tons of plants that I could make up names all day long for, just as I have certain areas or our farm.  But it would never be it's true name and kind of like Nell.. I would be the only one who understood it! 

After my fifth checked out herb book from the library last week (not all in the same week!) it hit me.  I should make an herb/wildflower book of our farm!  With glued trimmings, sketches, the works!  I had to get started.. after all.. this book will be around for a good while and as I find something new I could add to it and finally, maybe, identify some of the beauties for myself even when they are not in season.

I decided, after coming up with this project on Friday, that I should begin on Saturday, after all... I have all the stuff I need to get started... except a friend.  I called my sister and got permission to kidnap my niece to help.  She actually came quite willingly... who wouldn't!?!?

Saturday morning came and so did some rain.  It put off our adventure for and hour which put us an hour into a hot morning.  We documented fifteen plants with pictures, location, measurements, details of smell and feel, a sketch or two and glued on card stock clippings.  We were only out for maybe two hours and wanted more than that but we had a bit of four wheeler trouble and it was awfully hot and muggy but we had fun!

The book is no where near finished if it ever will be!   



No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks