Sunday, March 18, 2012

Saturday Walk in the Woods

Yesterday morning, after we had breakfast, Shaun told me that so-in-so told him that so-in-so had found a patch of mushrooms in the woods already this year.  I stopped and looked at him in disbelief saying "Morels?? NO Way, it's March."  Yeah... it's March... mid March.  Well this immediately changed my plans for the morning right then and there.  I had to take a look in my secret spot where I found them last year.  Alas, the patch is a lot more sunny this year than last because our woods were logged over the winter and the very tree I found them under was one of the victims which means the mushrooms may not return.  I sat on the stump and just stared at the ground for a moment.  During my acceptance speech to myself of the woods still being beautiful despite the mess that still lies there and the changes therein, I pulled myself up and continued with my walk. 

I didn't find any mushrooms nor did I see the orchids.  But I will remain on the hunt for both.  I did however find a plethora of the following.  Being that it is Spring and St. Patrick's Day, I was concentrating on the green stuff, which I found plenty of.


 This flower, the Trout-Lily, Dogtooth Violet, Erythroium Americanum, is edible.  Actually the bulbs are edible as well as the leaves and shoots.  They grow by our creek in the spring.  We haven't eaten them yet... yet.
 I always call these May Flowers.  I know they have a more proper name. 
 Spring is everywhere.

 Oh.. I saw some brown stuff too.  Maybe these trails were made by...
 these.
 You may cringe now.
And I felt I should have scooped them up and taken them straight to the compost pile.
 Dog tracks in the creek.
I could tell it has been too long since my last creek walk.  My creek legs were not in order as I almost fell several times on the slippery rocks.  You get used to them and how and where to step until summer is here and the slipperiness is gone. 

I did not see any snakes of which I am glad. 

Sunday came and after church I found myself foggy headed not knowing where to focus my energy.  I have been reading The Hunger Games which opened my eyes to nature in one way.  I pulled out my favorite nature book and found myself spending my afternoon pulling dandelion heads to make dandelion wine.  I had to pick three quarts of blossoms.  And I was lucky enough to find that many. 
So the process begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks