Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Butterfly Theme Day

As part of the curriculum in learning at my day care, I like to come up with themes.  Some of them are daily themes and some are weekly.  Some if not all of them will include a special outing to coincide with our themes at some point during the week. 

For instance, today's theme was Butterflies.  It included a books about butterflies and two butterfly crafts.  This theme could be a part of a weekly theme on insects or things with wings or even colors and numbers themes. 

I began by visiting my library online and choosing books to be put on hold.  I was so excited when the day came to pick them up.  I chose three books from the children's section of the library.  Depending on age, you could get pretty detailed with this part... or not. 

We also had coloring pages on butterflies.  I found a couple of them here.  I printed them and made copies and we colored them at table time.

The crafts were simple.  One, we made butterflies using craft paper and pipe cleaners.  Pretty easy for most.  The other was inspired by another blog that I follow.  It involved an outing on the farm to search out flowers and collect their pedals.  Then glue them to card stock in the shape of butterflies.  Genius!  Thanks Jek! 

The books were read a couple of times during the day.  One craft was morning fun and the other was afternoon fun. 

It is amazing how one word can inspire minds!




No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks