Friday, May 11, 2012

Discoveries at the Creek

I sewanee, if I don't visit the creek and woods on our farm at least once a week, I have seriously missed out on something.  There is so much going on down there that eyes never get to see.  I went for a walk the Sunday before last and then again this Wednesday.  The things that were blooming a week and a half ago were finished blooming and there were new things that had popped up everywhere. 

On this past trip, it took me halfway down the creek before I paid attention to my surroundings.  Too much on the brain.  Plus I was returned a wild orchid that I had found last fall and brought in.  It lived in a tiny glass bud vase on my kitchen window all winter.  It was loose in the fall and not knowing if it would die over the winter I thought it best that I take care of it.  So it went back to live with it's friends. 

The moral of this story is, if you don't take time to stop and see weird stuff in the woods, you're going to miss it.

Please do not ask me what the devil this is.  They were growing all around this one tree by the creek.
I can't even explain them.  Are those seeds?  Is it a conifer?  So odd.
 See what I mean.  This is blurry, I know, but even if it were a clear picture... I still wouldn't know what it was.
 I spotted these only in a certain area.  So pretty :)
 This is up close.  So cool.
 Tadpoles are starting to look like frogs.  Some of them. 
 Back with the other kids.  Awe.  Makes me want to go check on it right now.
But it's night... and dark down there.  Not that I haven't thought before that I couldn't find my way in the dark down there.  I know I could.  I tried it with my eyes closed.  But I'd have to have a flash light to see it.  I am rambling.  Must go to bed.
 Whoever saw a iddy, biddy flower growing on the end of a blade of grass like this? 
This flower is so tiny.  I am not even kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks