Monday, May 7, 2012

While Transplanting Seedlings Today

I realized that I have way too many!  Being the crazy plant lady that hates to kill anything, I am now stuck with 28 Black Cherry Tomato plants!  So, if you are local and would like to have a four pack of plants, I have four of them available for free.  They are very tasty!  I am one who likes to snack on them while picking the other vegetables in the garden.  That habit stems from way back!  When I was caught in my Grandmother's garden, eating cherry tomatoes, around the age of three.  These can be grown in your own garden or if you wish they can be grown in large pots.  However, the pot would need to be big enough to stake the plant or insert a tomato cage.  The effort would be well worth it!  Here is a picture of what they look like.



 Did  I mention these are heirloom??  I have grown BCT for four summers now and have saved seeds from year to year to start.  So... these are Special!

The plants are not yet ready to go in the ground.  So if you live close to me and would like some, I will make sure you get them within the next week or two.

On a different note... Saturday, we moved the chicken coop.  The TVA came over the winter and cut down all of the shade in the fence row behind the old chicken coop leaving our hens with no shade except for their roof.  We didn't want our chickens getting too hot for their britches this summer.  So Saturday was moving day.  We let them out to "play" with the rooster all day and luckily he left me alone.  We worked all morning on the relocation of our birds.  It actually went easier than I thought.  We waited until late evening when the chickens found places to roost to catch them up and take the to their new home in front of the shop.  We were still catching hens at 8:30.  But we got them all in safe and sound.... except for the rooster.  Unluckily we had to make the decision on keeping him.  Mean as he was to me, flogging me, chasing me, stomping his feet at me, bruising my legs, it didn't make sense to keep him around anymore.  I do miss his crowing but I do not miss the fear I had every time I went to feed the chickens and even though I carried a tobacco stick with me I knew he would do it again just any day.  I witnessed his quick death and for some sick reason felt a little sorry for him.  That is part of life on a farm I guess.  I will say that feeding the chickens is stress free now and somehow... they seem happier too.

Casa de Pollo, with a hint of Fred Sanford.
It used to look ok... behind the shop!
 Much happier!
 This is Cinnamon.  She is always the first one to the feed.

Not only are they in a much cooler spot, we are going to start letting them out to roam during the day since they are where we can watch them better.  Who needs dinner and a movie??  Chicken watching on Saturday night... you can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks