Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all. It's Christmas morning and I am up bright and early. I couldn't lay there anymore with hickory smoke smell still heavy in my hair and cream cheese that needed to be out of the fridge. It almost had nothing to do not being able to find one of my ear plugs in the bed. It is like everything knows it's Christmas. Miss Kitty, our barn cat, came in the house last night which is normally not allowed and Tommy crawled up to snuggle this morning at the top of the bed instead of the foot. We had our fifth annual Christmas Eve Hulsey tradition of smoking the meat for our Christmas day feast. It is always an experience. Uncle Randy always brings a ton of shrimp for everyone, lies are told, old friends are remembered and this year there was someone else in the top of the barn instead of the barn owl that hung out last year. We laugh and cut up and just love on one another and there's no place else I'd rather be.


This happens in one of the old tobacco barns.  The smoker keeps us warm and there are Christmas carols on the radio in the other room... and every now and then Blue Christmas is heard by one of us... Elvis style.
 
 I had three chickens, a boston butt and sweet potatoes on this year.  The rest are ribs and turkeys.


I would love to say that nobody burned his hand or pissed his britches but I can't.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun family tradition! I love that you do it in an old tobacco barn. Sounds cozy and fun :)

    Hope you had a great Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks