Friday, January 25, 2013

Drawing & Chalk Pastels

I love to draw.  I love to create.  When the crayon hits the paper... it's all me.  Though I never really thought I could until I realized that all I had to do was transfer my thoughts on to paper.  That it didn't matter if it was good or not to any one else.  The image in my head - come to life. 

What you have to do is trust in the finished product.  When you start out, get frustrated and rip the paper as it heads to the trash, you simply weren't patient enough with yourself.  Then again it may be what you are working with.  If you are working with a pencil and not happy with the results, stop and use paints.  Or if you are using paint, stop and use a crayon.  I am personally in love with chalk pastels.  I first discovered using them when I obtained an art kit from a family member's estate.  I adored the box full of old paint brushes, real drawing pencils and colored pencils.... and chalk pastels. 

Pastels are easy.  They are messy on your hands and so very fun to use.  You can make a line or begin to fill in and take your finger tip and start smudging to get a whole nother look and dimension.  You can get tons of colors for under ten bucks at the art store.  And they can be used on any kind of paper. 

I've not been to art school (obviously).  Matter of fact, I still have a painting that I got a D on in art class in high school.  How does that happen?  Is there no encouragement to be yourself in art class?  Harsh.  But... I don't know if I use the tools that I have correctly or not but I sure have fun.

What's your favorite art utensil?



 These are my Johnny Cash tributes.
I did this one on freezer paper for the bulletin board at the day care.
I like Rudolph photo bombing.
The art kit and my doodles of my pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks