Monday, April 1, 2013

Mantel ReDeux

My mantel has looked the same since... not this past Christmas, but the one before.  And that is all well and good and it truly hasn't bothered me too much because I had many things displayed that I found and love like rocks that I found, feathers, milkweed pods, and also an old Coke crate and mule thing and... well it sounds like too much crap!  I really was OK with it until I got the urge to change it and declutter it just a bit. 
 
I wound up taking everything down one Saturday afternoon.  I believe it is best to begin with a clean slate.  I had in mind to lean an old window up, that I just knew was in the attic, as my main centerpiece.  That bombed.  I couldn't find it in the attic where I just knew it was and it hit me that I had done something with it for a bathroom at the DC.  Bummer.  So I found a large (and heavy) old mirror that had belonged to my Grandparents and decided to use it instead.  I strung a piece of twine across the mirror and tied one rock with a hole in it, a single antler and a single seed pod which were all reminiscent of the old look of the mantel.  The other things were from here and there around the house and a few newer items from a yard sale or two. 
 
The change really feels nice.  I have a lot of room on our mantel because it sits in a corner and has a triangle shaped platform to work with. 




I LOVE this mason jar lid that I bought in Bellbuckle last Fall.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks